What to expect during dental cleanings
Dental cleanings, often called “oral prophylaxis,” is a deep cleaning of the teeth performed in a dental office by trained and experienced dental hygienists. The dental hygienists at Wahlen Dentistry encourage patients to have regular cleanings to maintain a healthy smile and can educate you on how to take good care of the teeth in-between visits.
There are many steps involved in the dental cleaning process, including the following:
- Examining the mouth for signs of dental problems. During this step, the dental hygienist will examine your teeth and gums to spot any potential oral health concerns, such as cavities, periodontal disease, or other signs of decay. The hygienist may take X-rays if needed
- Removing plaque and tartar. Plaque is best described as a sticky film containing bacteria that forms on teeth. Tartar is hardened plaque that develops over time. The hygienist will gently remove the plaque and tartar from your teeth using special tools
- Polishing the teeth. Once all of the plaque and tartar have been removed, our dental hygienist will use a special electric toothbrush and polishing paste to make the teeth shiny and smooth
- Flossing. The dental hygienist may floss between your teeth to remove any remaining food particles or plaque that were not removed during the cleaning process. This step is essential for preventing decay and gum disease
- Applying fluoride. Fluoride is a natural mineral that helps strengthen teeth and prevent decay. The dental hygienist will apply fluoride to your teeth in the form of varnish or gel
- Instruction on proper oral hygiene. After the cleaning is complete, the dental hygienist may provide guidance on how to keep your teeth and gums healthy at home, such as proper brushing and flossing techniques
Request a visit to schedule your dental cleaning today!
All of these steps are important for preventing dental problems and maintaining a healthy smile for years to come. Regular cleanings help prevent cavities, gum disease, and other oral issues that could lead to more severe complications in the future.
Call (435) 246-4602 to schedule an appointment at Wahlen Dentistry of Perry, UT. The office is located at 2480 South Highway 89, Suite A, and serves patients in the surrounding communities of Ogden, North Ogden, and Brigham City.